MPH Program Overview
Since 2013, the Johns Hopkins University’s Bloomberg School of Public Health (JHSPH), Baltimore, Maryland, USA in partnership with the IIHMR University has been offering its MPH degree program in Jaipur, India, for Indian students as well as those from surrounding countries. This prestigious program is designed with the following objectives:
- To cultivate students' health management skills so that they will be prepared to enhance the effectiveness and efficiency of public health programs and services
- To enhance the capabilities of public health professionals in countries of the South East Asian Region.
- To prepare professionals for challenging careers in public health management in the public and private sectors, non-governmental organizations, as well as national and multinational organizations
The MPH degree program is a two-year course. The program includes course work in classes a capstone exercise in the first year and a practicum experience in the second year, all cumulatively totaling to 80 credits. The MPH program 2020-2022 will commence in October 2020. On-campus courses will begin at IIHMR University, Jaipur. The students will travel to Baltimore, Maryland, in winter term at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, USA.
The curriculum is structured to build knowledge, develop skills and provide exposure to real-world situations in public health and health management. Courses will be taught by distinguished faculty members from Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health and IIHMR University who have contributed to meeting the challenges of public health and health care management nationally and internationally.
The pedagogy for each course is selected judiciously, and consistently encourages the students to learn experientially, by helping them to relate concepts and theories to public health management systems. The program aims to develop students’ competencies in the following core areas:
- Environmental Health Sciences
- Public Health Biology
- Health Management and Functional Management
- Social and Behavioral Sciences
- Public Policy
Key highlights of the MPH program are:
- Total fee payable in India is one-third of the fee payable at Johns Hopkins University, USA.
- Students admitted to this program will be provided free travel and stay scholarship to attend a winter term course on Problem Solving in Public Health at Intensive Institute at Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, USA.
- The original Johns Hopkins curriculum is delivered jointly by distinguished faculties of JHSPH and IIHMR University.
- A degree is awarded by JHSPH, USA.
- Network of 24500 plus Alumni around the world.
JHSPH faculty and IIHMR faculty with faculty appointments at JHSPH will teach all courses. Students will attend courses taught by IIHMR faculty in person in Jaipur at the IIHMR campus. Students will attend on-line courses taught by JHSPH faculty, in addition to attending one course (Problem Solving in Public Health) in person in Baltimore, MD, during an Intensive Institute at JHSPH. Students will take the online courses with other JHSPH students from different parts of the world who are enrolled in diverse academic programs. All courses will be taught to the same high standards for which JHSPH is known worldwide. JHSPH faculty will work with IIHMR faculty to tailor the content of JHSPH core courses to the reality of India, with Indian case studies and examples.
Interested individuals from India or surrounding low- and middle-income countries must have:
- A Bachelor degree.
- A minimum of 2 years of full-time health- related experience beyond the Bachelor’s/Master’s degree (Work experience is waived for PhD and MBBS graduates).
- Prior college-level mathematics courses, prior college-level biology course plus another health-related course.
- Demonstrated English proficiency through prior degree, TOEFL or IELTS.
- Demonstrated quantitative and verbal skills through GRE, MCAT, LSAT, or GMAT (Applicants with degrees beyond the Bachelor’s may request a waiver of standardized test scores if they are other sources of quantitative abilities).
|GRE||The GRE is offered on an appointment basis and this exam can be taken all round the year.
GRE Scores will be available between 10 and 15 days after the exam. http://www.ets.org/gre/
|GMAT||THE GMAT is an appointment test. Scores are sent within 20 days of the test. www.gmat.com|
Applicants seeking admission to the MPH program must go through a prescreening process, and need to be pre-approved by IIHMR before they apply. Applicants who wish to apply for the MPH program should follow the steps given below:
STEP 1: Candidate kindly send the completely filled pre-screening questionnaire by clicking on the link https://iihmr.nopaperforms.com for pre-approval by May 10, 2020
STEP 2: A confirmation mail will be sent to each candidate after receipt of the materials in STEP 1. Then a pre-approval email for the application will be sent to the candidate by IIHMR University, followed by another email from JHSPH with an invitation to complete the online MPH application through SOPHAS (Schools of Public Health Application System) http://sophas.org/program-finder/ In order to be considered for admission, the candidate has to submit the completed application (fully submitted application along with the application fee of US $ 135) by JUNE 01, 2020.
Application requirements at SOPHAS:
In order for your application to be reviewed, you must submit the following:
- Curriculum Vitae/Resume (*To be uploaded with application).
- 2 Page Personal Statement (*To be uploaded with application).
- 3 Letters of Recommendation – Electronically through SOPHAS.
- We cannot receive official letters through the postal service.
- Official TOEFL Scores – send to SOPHAS in Massachusetts use code 5688.
- Official GRE Scores – send to JHSPH at SOPHAS 3738 /or GMAT Scores should be sent to KGB-3R-06.
- Official Credential Evaluation of all Foreign Transcripts (all colleges/universities outside of the U.S. that you have attended) should be sent through World Education Services or WES. The CAS provider you should choose is SOPHAS.
- In order to expedite the review of your application, please send unofficial copies of ALL university transcripts to JHSPH directly.
- Please visit the (JHSPH Website) for more information.